Saturday, January 06, 2007

Dance of Life

The place was closing for the night, (5:23 AM)
People were slowing clearing away,
And as I stood there – looking about,
I realized that today, he wont be there,

It was more a month ago when I,
First came upon this place of joy,
I stood there looking at the people,
Scream, dance – lost in their bliss

For you see I was a cripple – yes I was,
My friends say that it was hardly a limp,
I stood in the shadows, unsure of myself
As to whether I’d expose my inadequacy,

That was when he first walked into the place,
A distinguished old man I’d never seen before,
A few last tufts of ash grey hair on a shining head,
Indeed a spectacle was he, in the midst of the youth

My friends and I were shocked to see,
Him move straight towards the dance floor,
Amazed still, I realized what he wanted to do
Then he slowly started off, smiling to himself

I went again the next day just to see it again,
And yes the old man returned to dance,
I stood amazed, as he took the floor apart,
Devoid of my sight, he danced his heart away.

As the days went on, he became one amongst the crowd,
None did stare or pass a word, or even smile at him,
I still stood behind the crowd, looking out beyond,
Until one day I did decide – I’d confront my doubts

I woke up the next day smiling in anticipation,
For I was excited to meet the old man at last,
I looked into the mirror and saw a strange face,
I saw a face so happy, one I’d never seen before.

I went later than usual as I wanted him there,
As I made my entrance, I wanted him to stare.
I smiled at the thought; I’d have my first dance
The things I’d say to him went across my mind.

And as I got closer, I tried to hear the crowd
But I was surprised to find silence greet me,
For on the dance floor, amidst the silent crowd,
Lay did he static, a final smile transfixed in time.

I stepped back shocked, wanting to get away,
The sight numbed my mind, unable to believe,
I looked one last at him and then slowly smiled
I moved across slowly and then there alone I stood

Tacit we knew what we’d to do and new people joined me there,
And we began the dance of life, while silence churned out tunes (6:10 AM)

Manas R Moothedath
4th Jan 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.