Friday, June 09, 2006

This were the result of a wonderful little boy whom I came to see upon a course of a day's work....

A Paradigm

Hi, I’m another guy amongst the buzzing millions that are spread across this huge city. Normal life, normal thoughts and normal attitudes. But there was once incident in the not so recent past that shook my very foundations, made me doubt all the logic that my computer programming teachers had taught me. For it left me wondering about the probability of coincidence being coincidence…

It was a hot summer evening and I was late for my flight to Paris, it was a trip that I was looking forward to in big way. It was my big opportunity to prove myself. I wanted to stand out amongst the 200 or so software engineers in my company. An angry honk of a car brought me back from my reverie; I turned around to find a Toyota Innova behind me that was packed to the brim. I could see more than five or six kids in the back seat. But I couldn’t help notice that one little child, (I couldn’t see the face, just a vague outline) was sitting very quietly holding on to something very tightly. The lights turned from orange to green and the car moved away towards the airport entry. I followed them, suddenly aware of the fact that I’d end up missing my flight if I didn’t move faster.

As I drove into the parking lot I noticed that someone had spilled a can of orange paint across the footpath, making it glisten brightly in the evening sun. Dragging my baggage behind me I rushed towards the entry cursing the authorities for the obnoxious parking charges. Finding that my plane was a few minutes late, I decided to get myself something to drink. At the drink stall, I found that they’d run out of soft drinks and the new stock isn’t cold enough yet, all they had left was some old orange juice. While I stood there staring at the teeming rows of orange juice, I strangely noticed that I wasn’t thirsty anymore. While I hung around goofing about with the change dispensers, I felt a certain weight settle onto my neck. I turned around and found a pair of eyes across the lounge boring into my back. I couldn’t see anything more because of all the people that walking all across the place.
I moved closer to have a better look at my hidden enemy. I caught a glimpse of black, shiny curls. More intrigued than ever I walked faster now towards what I hoped was an apparition. Then, I saw him - a little boy with round black eyes with shiny black curls bouncing on top of his pale face. I smiled at him amused to see a kid so interested in me. I waved at him, my smile widening further. Then, suddenly there appeared a grave expression on his placid face and he slowly shook his head from side to side. I was taken aback to see such a serious expression on the face of such a young child, it seemed so out of place on that face that had shone with an aura of calmness moments ago. I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts. “Flight no S-220 B headed towards Paris is ready for takeoff”” blared the loudspeaker, bringing me back. I turned away moving towards the luggage check-in, when I noticed a glimpse of orange in the hands of the boy. On closer inspection I realized that he was holding in his hand a huge orange balloon. I’d hardly taken a couple of steps when a loud “pop’ pierced the air. I spun around to find a shocked expression on the boy’s face - His lovely orange balloon a wad of useless rubber. Within moments high pitched uncontrollable wails pierced the evening air. I turned around, taken aback by the sudden change. The little boy was screeching at the top of his voice. I waited for a few seconds looking around and trying to see if anyone was disturbed by the whole thing, but surprisingly every person seemed too absorbed in their own things to even notice all the commotion going on here. As the sounds grew louder and louder the voice started to sound metallic, not like a little kid - for I couldn’t think of anything I’d ever seen that could make the kind of noises I could hear emanating from that child... Within me there began to swell an overflowing sense of emotion was uncontrollably pushing outward from within me... Then the kid got wild - the pitch of his voice took such an excruciating note that my head felt like it had been pierced with a hundred needles. My whole body was in sync with a frequency that scared me and sent a wave of chills down my spine leaving me all shaken up. With a moment’s indecision, I ran out of the place leaving everything behind - scared out of my wits. I ran out, got into my car and raced away. I drove as fast as I could, past the busy streets and away from all the noise, trying to escape what was behind me. I stared into the setting sun - the orange sky and drove faster, as though trying to catch up with it... After what seemed like hours had gone by I slowed down a little and stopped the car. I was breathing heavily and after taking a deep breath, I felt a wave of relief wash over me - making me feel cool and relaxed although I was locked up inside a car with no AC on a hot humid day. I switched on the radio hoping some music would cheer me up. A sing song voice came out of it and said ““We interrupt this program to give you a news flash - The Sahara flight to Paris, flight no S-220B has crashed and all there are no survivors. The reason for the crash is still unknown although authorities feel that it might be a result of a technical glitch. It was found that there was “.....I didn’t hear anymore of it. For a second I felt that I couldn’t breathe - a choking sensation enveloped me and I tried to figure out if it was claustrophobia. Finally, I managed to find the lock and let myself out. Breathing in large gulps of air I leaned against the car and felt all energy drain out of me. As I stood there I felt that the road was wet and for the first time, I looked around me and found that I was already accompanied by a black sky and a cool breeze. I was in a field of some sort for an unending expanse lay about all around me untouched and untarnished by the fallacies of the world. I stood there trying to make some sense of the whole episode. I stared up at the shimmering black sky and was presented with
a shooting star tracing an arc across the horizon, its deep orange color lighting up my face and eyes…

No comments: